Feral Effects Generator (newer model)
This is for the newer Feral Effects generators. If this does not make sense then you might be using an older model in which case you should look here instead.
The Feral is capable of rudimentary scaling and positioning with the abut it should be noted that the results are not very clean. This device is suitable for simple clocks but not much else because of it's inferior scaling method.
Although it also has timeline/motion accomodations, one should not confuse this device with a real DVE. Practically speaking, the timeline will probably be used for nothing more than saving multiple "snapshots".
Cropping and hard borders are available.
Selecting the Video Source
Before doing anything with the Feral, be sure that the correct video source is selected! The video source (SRC) probably should be set to SDI NTSC or Composite but check with the EIC if you don't know. To select a different video source:
- Select the SRC function (SHIFT-SHIFT-SHIFT-SRC)
- Using the dial, select the desired source.
- Press the dial to confirm
Changing Size / Aspect
The Feral can resize along the X and/or Y axes independently which allows simulation of Z axis sizing and aspect changing.
- Select the SIZE function (SHIFT-SHIFT-SIZE) - Horizontal and vertical resizing coefficients will be displayed.
- Resize using the joystick (up/left to reduce, down/right to expand). Alternately you can use the dial to change only the parameter(s) shown in capital letters. Pressing SIZE will change the case of the parameters.
The Feral can reposition along the X and/or Y axes but cannot move the upper and left edges of the processed image above or left of the left & top edges of the screen. Also, there are some limits to how far down or to the right an image can be moved but this also depends on how the image is sized.
- Select the POS function (SHIFT-SHIFT-POS) - Horizontal and vertical positions will be displayed.
- Reposition using the joystick. Alternately you can use the dial to change only the parameter(s) shown in capital letters. Pressing POS will change the case of the parameters.
Saving a Keyframe
Although the Feral supports a timeline, it is nothing spectacular and you'll probably use its keyframes for nothing more than saving snapshots for easy recall.
- Select the ENTER function (SHIFT-SHIFT-ENTER).
- Use the dial to select the keyframe where you'd like to store a snapshot of the Feral state.
- Press the dial to save as a keyframe.
Recalling a Keyframe
The Feral has (on the shift level 1) VTR-like transport functions. Probably the easiest way to recall keyframes is to step through the timeline.
- Use "single frame fwd" button (above the "border" label) to advance forward.
- Use the "rewind" button (above the "size" label) to step back through the timeline.
Adjusting the Proc Amp
Proc amp functions are available and adjustments are made globally (not stored in keyframes).
- Select the PROC function (SHIFT-SHIFT-SHIFT-PROC).
- The PROC button will now toggle between "contrast", "brightness", "color" and "tint".
- Use the dial to adjust values.